Thursday, June 7, 2018

The big nothing

Sagebrush, Sagebrush everywhere.  Gentle Rolling Hills of sagebrush.  No trees.  For miles.  I staggered into Hart Mountain Hot Springs late in the afternoon a couple of days ago after a 23 Mile day.  That nice warm water was calling my name!  Since then I've had a couple of lower mileage days. The first one I'll blame on really tough cross country and today I'll just blame on running out of steam.  That said I'm now only a couple of days out of Frenchglen.  The hotel there is booked but the guy said he might let me camp on the lawn. I'll try for a room cancellation too of course. My daughter, Casey, plans to come get me on Sunday.  I want there to be an ice box full of wonderful cold drinks like Iced tea, ice water and Hawaiian Punch and Frappachino in the car for the ride home.  As God is my witness I will never be dehydrated again!  When I have water out here I drink and drink and drink it and can never get my fill.  Sometimes I can't do that though, out of concern for where the next water source will be.  Tonight I'm camped by the aptly-named Mud Spring.  Even though it looks like it's name I filtered some of it for drinking and got in and washed myself off.  Hey, it's like a mud bath!  I'm lucky it has water at all since the map lists it as an unreliable source  And it's not really the big nothing out here of course. I've been seeing pronghorn, jackrabbits, rodents, lizards, and endless blue skies with fluffy white clouds.  All that along with daydream images of endless cool water flowing,  showering, burbling, rushing...  Okay posting now before I lose coverage. Pictures to follow.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment