Sunday, May 27, 2018

Bataan Death March Without the Japanese Soldiers!

I had sunshine today on the 17 miles into Paisley but the 2 days before that was really tough.  Three days ago a violent thunderstorm started about 4 and didn't let up until the middle of the next day, only to begin again soon as heavy, heavy rain that lasted all night long and well into the next day.  I'm talking about the kind of rain that just beats down on the tent and pools on the ground, turning everything to mud.  In the thunderstorm I thought the tent might be blown away and had to hold it up at times.  The lightning was very close and the Thunder seem to rumble forever. It's like it would Rumble some and then get a second wind and Rumble some more.  Pretty cool, actually.  I spent over two days slogging through the puddles and mud going uphill with a heavy pack and lots of times with no Trail to guide me.  Because I had to set the tent up while it was raining things got a bit moist inside but I was able to sleep when warm both nights. I could have made it through a third but man am I glad I didn't have to.  Until today beginning on the outskirts of town I had not seen the tree for several days. All the junipers are gone replaced by nothing but Sagebrush now. I heard a drumming noise off to my right this morning and look to see two pronghorns Galloping by in the early sunshine. A Magic Moment.I am becalmed in Paisley until Tuesday waiting for the post office to open so I can collect my resupply box. I had always counted on spending one night here but forgot about the Monday holiday tomorrow. I'm ensconced in an Airbnb that I was lucky to find here.  It suits me well and The Price is Right.
 Before the rain

 It's hard to do blog posts in the tent.  Yeah, yeah. Sunscreen I know.
 Puddles and mud totally trashed shoes and rain pants.
 Leaning against a sagebrush on the long slog in to Paisley this morning.
And the road goes on forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment